Monday, October 17, 2011

The Value of Volunteering

By: Steven Cayton, Esq.

I graduated law school in 2009 and went to work for an attorney I had interned with both summers of law school. I quickly discovered that there is still so very much I needed to learn and more I wanted to do. I enjoyed the consumer defense work I was doing, who doesn’t enjoy suing abusive debt collectors, but I wanted to do additional work to help those in need. In my endeavor to branch out I started taking numerous CLEs, including those outside of my practice area and that was how I found out about AVLF. I started with the Guardian ad Litem program in the fall of 2010 and learned how rewarding these cases can be. Its a wonderful feeling knowing that you can be a neutral participant whose only there to represent the best interest of the children in the case. I was lucky to get a case that was fairly straightforward and where both parents were reasonable to deal with.

After working the GAL program I knew I wanted to do more and did the training for the domestic violence program at AVLF. These cases are about getting the protection of the courts for the victims of domestic violence through obtaining a Temporary Protective Order. My first case quickly taught me the importance of having trained attorneys to help these victims. Since taking that first case I have averaged one or two TPO cases a month and they are incredibly rewarding, but can also have an element of frustration. I have spoken with a number of domestic violence clients who exhibit the classic signs of this crime including rationalizing the behavior of their abuser. Many tell me how the person is really good at their heart, was just having a rough time, only gets this way when they are intoxicated, etc. It is a bit heartbreaking when the client on the other end of the phone is trying to tell you why they don’t need your service because they have worked things out with their abuser. In one case I flat out told the client based on her facts that I was sure she would end up dead. Cases that severe aren’t that common and are easily outweighed by the rewards of a client who does follow through and the look on your case when you are successful in getting a TPO.

They say you learn the most from failure. In one particular case of mine I found the adage true but also that it was the most rewarding case. To put the case in perspective you have to keep in mind that the lifespan of most of these cases, from assignment to hearing, is 1-3 weeks. This particular “favorite” TPO case of mine took three months. The short version is that the respondent was actively avoiding service. Have any of you ever called a party’s attorney and have the lawyer on the other end of the phone tell you he isn’t my client? Needless to say this went on for a bit. Finally the respondent started a new job and we found out when and where and his second day on the job he was served with the ex parte 30 day temporary protective order for domestic violence. We ended up being unsuccessful in court, largely because of the delay from the last time of abuse until we were finally able to get the hearing. Why then do I call this one of my favorite cases? The main reason is because my client was so happy to have gotten a day in court in which the one who hurt and harassed my client. My client’s story was told, and my client felt vindicated by that. The second reason I consider this one of my favorite cases is because it was simply such a tremendous learning experience. TPO hearings are like mini trials. You give a brief opening and closing, direct and cross examine witness, enter evidence, and get a ruling that is essentially like a verdict. The best part is that it happens usually within 30-60 minutes. That’s a lot of experience for a new lawyer to gain in an hour.

Volunteering with AVLF has many benefits. From the learning experience to the emotional rewards of helping those in need through one of AVLF’s many programs it really is food for the soul. The staff members at AVLF - Liz, Toni, Amanda, Lila and others - keep telling me thank you for the volunteering that I have done. In reality it is I who should be thanking them, and not just for all the times they answer my numerous questions. They and AVLF have provided me with experiences that I value more than money, and that is why I do my pro bono work through AVLF.

No comments:

Post a Comment