Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Helping Hand for a Grateful Client By Matthew J. Simmons, Commercial Litigation Associate, Swift, Currie, McGhee & Hiers, from the Daily Report, July 5, 2012


While I have been participating in this program since I was admitted to the Georgia Bar, a case I worked on recently is the most poignant for me. Early one Saturday morning in late 2011, I headed to downtown Atlanta to participate in one of the AVLF's pro bono programs. Soon after my arrival, I was introduced to an elderly woman whom I will call Ms. Green. Little did I know then that Ms. Green would become not only my client but also my friend.

Shortly after meeting Ms. Green, I sat down to speak to her further about what brought her to the program. Ms. Green informed me that she had recently been served with a legal document claiming she owed a great deal of money as a result of a debt that had built up on a credit card with which she was completely unfamiliar. The credit card was not in her name but that of her ex-husband, a man who had since passed away and from whom she had been divorced for more than a decade. As you can imagine, Ms. Green was in a state of shock and disbelief, but also one of significant trepidation about the potential repercussions this lawsuit could have on her and her extremely limited income.
After assuring Ms. Green that I would do my best to represent her and that I would do everything I could to make the situation right, she did what no client had done before - she gave me a great big hug.

Read this article in its entirety, Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment