Friday, April 1, 2011

Lawyers Who Represent Children Contribute Substantially to the Prevention of Child Abuse

By: Suzanne Bertolett, Associate, Sutherland

For the past twenty months, I have had the privilege of providing legal representation to a little girl while her mother struggles to overcome drug addiction and reclaim her life. My representation is coordinated through AVLF’s One Child One Lawyer program, working with Fulton County’s Family Drug Court. As the Family Drug Court team works with my client’s mother to ensure she is provided with the treatment and resources she needs to become a drug free and stable parent, I serve as the voice for my client, making sure that her best interests remain at the forefront of any decisions made by the Court. In order to fulfill this role, I visit with my client at her home periodically to ensure she is in a safe and healthy environment. During my visits, I observe her interactions with her mother and other caregivers. Between home visits, I stay in touch with her caregivers to make sure that my client is doing well and that the caregivers are receiving the resources they need. I have established a relationship with my client’s great uncle, who has been my client’s primary caregiver while her mother has been in drug treatment. The bond between him and his great niece is touching, and there is no one I trust more with my client. I turn to this great uncle for input when I must advocate before the Court regarding my client’s interests.

My relationship with my client began in the summer of 2009, a few months before her second birthday. The child’s mother, who has a history of drug abuse, had recently been put in jail and had lost custody of my client because she had failed to comply with the drug treatment requirements established by court order. Given the strong bond between my client and her mother and the fact that there was no evidence my client’s mother had ever abused her, her mother was originally allowed to retain custody of my client as long as she entered a drug treatment program and remained drug-free. The case had originally been treated as a standard child deprivation case in Fulton County Juvenile Court. The case was transferred to Family Drug Court in the hopes that, given proper treatment and resources, my client’s mother would be able to overcome her drug addiction, get a job and provide a safe, stable home for my client. Unfortunately, as noted above, my client’s mother did not comply with the treatment plan established by the Court, was jailed, and custody of my client was transferred to the Division of Family and Children Services (DFCS). Fortunately, DFCS was able to place my client with her great aunt and uncle, in the home where she had lived since birth. I have the deepest respect for my client’s great aunt and uncle, a couple in their sixties who have provided my client with unconditional love, shelter and stability during her mother’s struggle. This couple has also provided my client’s mother with support in her fight to overcome addiction and the knowledge that she and her daughter will always have a home with them.

Once out of jail, my client’s mother began to cooperate and comply with Family Drug Court requirements and has gradually progressed toward becoming drug-free. I am proud of the progress my client’s mother has made and her efforts to become the mother that her daughter deserves. I am also deeply grateful for the support network her aunt and uncle have provided. Likewise, I am grateful to the Fulton County Drug Court team for their efforts in helping parents overcome their addictions and keeping families together.

I am delighted to report that my client’s mother has recently regained custody of my client and the two are living with their aunt and uncle. My client’s mother continues to attend drug treatment and report to Family Drug Court. We all hope that she will graduate from Family Drug Court in May, drug free and ready, with help of her family, to provide a safe and stable home to my client.

I am very proud to be a part of the One Child One Lawyer program. It is an honor to provide a voice to children in Fulton County whose parents are endeavoring to overcome their addictions and create better lives for themselves and their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment