Friday, April 15, 2011

Volunteer Recounts Experience with AVLF's One Child One Lawyer Program

By: Vickie Carlton-Sadler, Attorney at Gonzalez Saggio & Harlan LLP and AVLF Board Member


When I volunteered to represent baby Joshua through Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation's One Child One Lawyer Program
("OCOL"), I expected to lend my legal acumen to assist my infant client, the court, and supporting agencies navigate towards a permanent home placement for Joshua that would be in his best interest. I had it all figured out, or so I believed. But the truth of the matter is, I wasn't at all prepared for the challenges facing this small bundle of joy, nor was I prepared for such a rewarding experience.

Joshua was a mere six months old when we first met. He was already separated from his biological mother. Joshua was born to a mother with a criminal history, mental health issues, and a history of drug abuse. When he was born, he tested positive for drugs and suffered moderate health issues as a result. The Department of Family and Children Services ("DFAC") immediately intervened to evaluate Joshua's needs and to determine what was best for his future. DFAC promptly placed Joshua into a foster care home while attempting to pursue reunification with his biological mother.

As Joshua's legal advocate, I too was tasked with assessing his needs and collaborating with DFAC and other state agencies to determine Joshua's future. And while I have litigated on behalf of clients who had millions of dollars at stake, I had never before represented someone whose life was literally hanging in the balance.

For nearly two years, I participated in court hearings, administrative meetings, and home visits on Joshua's behalf. During that time, Joshua visited with his mother who was attempting to turn her life around so that she could serve as the mother Joshua so desperately needed. But, our collective efforts to reunite Joshua with his biological mother were quickly dashed when it became clear that Joshua's mother was incapable of becoming a reliable and loving parent.

Fortunately for Joshua, he was placed with a foster parent who from the very beginning demonstrated a commitment to providing him with a loving home. Joshua's foster mother made it clear that she would like to become Joshua's permanent adoptive parent.

Joshua was truly surrounded by guardian angels. During my representation of him, I had the opportunity to watch him grow into a healthy and happy toddler; vibrant and full of energy. I also had the rewarding experience of witnessing Joshua bond not only with his foster mother, but also with his extended foster family.

Although Joshua's start in life was tumultuous, I am confident that as a result of his participation in the OCOL program, he will finish strong. Joshua was formally adopted by his foster mother last October, and I was gratefully invited to join him and his new family in the celebration.

Not only did I gain valuable legal experience in the juvenile court system, but I was vastly rewarded with an outpouring of gratitude and appreciation by Joshua's family for my involvement in his case. Joshua and I are both thriving.

2 comments:

  1. Lawyer is need for society which create well communication between people and judicial procedure. That create good reporting which create it well and effective.
    Best Criminal Lawyers in Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with Robert; a society deserve lawyers and judges or it will no longer be called a society. Thanks for sharing your post. I really enjoy reading it. You have spend quite some effort on your blog and people should follow it.
    Tampa Criminal Defense Attorney

    ReplyDelete